I’ve been writing a lot of articles recently that focus on the player side of the screen. However, one of the things that I have been thankful about in Philadelphia is the amount of people who also GM as well as play. It’s about time I wrote an article for GMing.
Take a moment and look over this statblock:
Sellsword CR 7
(Edited from Gamemastery Guide 283)
Human fighter 8
N Medium humanoid
Init +6; Senses Perception +8
AC 25, touch 12, flat-footed 23 (+10 armor, +2 Dex, +3 shield)
hp 80 (8d10+36)
Fort +10, Ref +5, Will +6; +2 vs. fear
Defensive Abilities bravery +2
Speed 30 ft.
Melee +1 bastard sword +14/+9 (1d10+8/17–20) or spiked gauntlet +11/+6 (1d4+3)
Ranged javelin +10 (1d6+3)
Special Attacks weapon training (heavy blades +1)
Str 16, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 8
Base Atk +8; CMB +11; CMD 23
Feats Cleave, Improved Critical (bastard sword), Improved Initiative, Improved Iron Will, Iron Will, Power Attack, Toughness, Vital Strike, Weapon Focus (bastard sword), Weapon Specialization (bastard sword)
Skills Intimidate +7, Knowledge (dungeoneering) +5, Perception +8, Profession (soldier) +5, Ride +8, Survival +10
SQ armor training 2
Combat Gear potion of align weapon, potion of bull’s strength, potions of cure light wounds (2); Other Gear +1 full plate, +1 heavy steel shield, +1 bastard sword, spiked gauntlet, javelins (5), cloak of resistance +1, 40 gp
Now, answer the following questions. Feel free to look back at the statblock, but first see how much you can answer without looking anything up.
- A PC caster targeted you with phantasmal killer with a DC of 17. You rolled a 10 on your first save. Did you pass?
- A PC caster targeted you with confusion with a DC of 17. You rolled a 10 on your save. Did you pass?
- Modify the attack line to account for Power Attack
- Modify the attack line to account for Vital Strike
- What’s the Sellsword’s bonus to Trip? Disarm?
- What’s the Sellsword’s CMD vs. Trip? CMD vs. Disarm?
- What’s the Sellsword’s Perception bonus?
- What’s the Sellsword’s Sense Motive bonus?
- What’s the Sellsword’s Acrobatics bonus?
- Why is this stat block slightly misleading? (The answer is related to at least one of the questions above.)
When you think you have your answers, click here to check your work.
(Special thanks to Alexander Nudd for help with editing this article.)
Feel free to discuss the questions in the comments below. If you’re looking to complete the questions without spoilers, I would recommend not looking in the comments.