Getting Started as a Player
Welcome to Pathfinder Society! Here’s what you need to do to get started as a player:
- Sign up for an account on paizo.com.
- Go to paizo.com/pathfinderSociety and click on the link titled “Join the Pathfinder Society and create your character now!” Follow the directions to get your Pathfinder Society number. You’ll need this whenever you play Pathfinder Society. (If you started playing Pathfinder Society at a convention and received a Pathfinder Society card at the convention, this is where they will ask you about typing in the confirmation code on the card you were given.)
- Download the Guide to Society Organized Play. This is the free PDF that explains the rules for Pathfinder Society. This PDF is big because it covers all of the rules for Pathfinder Society – player, GM and coordinator alike. As a new player, you’ll want to take a look at Chapters 1-3 for creating a character and Chapter 4 for an explanation of what factions are and how they work in Pathfinder Society. Don’t worry about memorizing everything in it – a lot of it is intuitive and there will be a GM who is happy to help you when you go to play. Just skim the sections and get the general idea.
- Create your character! Chapter 2 of that document you just downloaded is a character creation guide which will help walk you through your first character. If you don’t have access to a rulebook, paizo has helpfully placed the Pathfinder rules on their website here.
- If you have any questions, feel free to email either of the Venture Officers for the Philadelphia area. Our emails are available here. We’ll be happy to answer any question you have.